You should know I love the Eames'. Love them. I not only loved them because of the things they produced but their attitudes towards what they produced and how they went about making.
One thing that has always stuck with me was; in their design studio, when they would send letters the envelopes were decorated or designed with crayons, markers and other such things. The envelopes never went out with just a penned address scribbled across the front.
The TED Talk above was given on Charles' 100th birthday. Since his birthday was yesterday it seems only fitting to show this video again.
Below are some of my favorite Charles Eames quotes.
- Eventually everything connects — people, ideas, objects… the quality of the connections is the key to quality per se.
- To be realistic one must always admit the influence of those who have gone before.
- I don’t believe in this “gifted few” concept, just in people doing things they are really interested in doing. They have a way of getting good at whatever it is.
- Don’t be like I was. Don’t be afraid of history. Take all of it you can get.
- Always be passionate about ideas and communicating those ideas and discoveries to others in the things you make.
- Take your pleasure seriously.